Pump Operator I/II
We are currently seeking a Pump Station Operator I & II. This position involves operating and maintaining water wells, booster pump stations, sewer pump stations, reclaimed water and potable water storage tanks, various control valves, pressure-reducing valves, and sewer vacuum valves. Must have related experience and obtain and Class B license within 18 months. Join our amazing team and apply today! Position closes on September 24th at 11:59 pm.
Under the supervision of the Pump Station Supervisor: operates and maintains water wells, booster pump stations, sewer pump stations, reclaimed water and potable water storage tanks, various control valves, pressure reducing valves, sewer vacuum valves, and related equipment and appurtenances. Maintains operational and repair records for same.
1. Oversees daily operation and maintenance of all components of water and wastewater pump stations including valves, controls, air compressors and standby generator equipment and performs major and minor repairs of same.
2. Pulls, repairs, and installs all water and wastewater pumps and motors.
3. Operates, maintains, and repairs all pump control systems, including Milltronics Ultra Sonic Level Controllers, Float Switches, Variable Frequency Drives (VFD's), and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC's).
4. Ensures the future reliability of pump stations by performing complex rehabilitation, construction, and overhaul of sewer and water pump stations and related water operation facilities.
5. Operates, maintains and repairs flow meters.
6. Maintains cathodic protection systems.
7. Maintains, adjusts and repairs pressure reducing valves (PRV's).
8. Maintains, operates and repairs Fallen Leaf Lake sewer system including remote vacuum valve and electrical stations, standby generators and air release valves.
9. Operates, repairs and maintains odor scrubbers.
10. Maintains various maintenance records for all equipment, including use of preventive maintenance computer software system.
11. Performs complex, major overhauls and maintenance at Luther Pass Pump Station.
12. Performs preventative and complex maintenance duties on all water and wastewater pumps and equipment.
13. Reports operating problems to supervisor or other appropriate parties.
14. Performs regular visual inspections and/or tests of all water and wastewater pump station machinery, controls, alarms and equipment.
15. Takes periodic readings of gauges, meters and charts and records results in operating log books.
16. Ensures compliance with Department of Health Services regulations by adding sodium hypochlorite to potable water for disinfection, and takes samples as required.
17. Inspects, cleans, maintains and repairs water tanks.
18. Operates Advanced Oxidation Treatment Systems (HIPOX) for the removal of MTBE requiring addition of sodium hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide and ozone.
19. Operates treatment systems for the removal of arsenic to comply with the Department of Health Services Standards.
20. Performs a variety of manual tasks requiring the handling of equipment exposed to raw sewage, cleans sewer pump station wet wells and maintains the structure and grounds of District facilities.
21. Flushes water mains as required. Complies with the District's Water Main Flushing Program as required by the Department of Health Services.
22. Adapts and adjusts operational infrastructure as needed due to unforeseen situations or threats to the water system.
23. Uses self-contained breathing apparatus safely and properly, as stated by California safety laws.
24. Adheres to and enforces stated safety policies and procedures.
Education & Experience Requirements
1. High school graduate or equivalent.
Pump Station Operator I:
One year related field experience
Pump Station Operator II:
Three years related field experience and complete knowledge of all duties listed under Essential Functions.
1. Pump Station Operator I requires ability to obtain Certification Grade D1 Water Distribution Operator and Grade T1 Water Treatment Plant Operator Certification from the State of California, within thirty-six (36) months from hire date.
2. Pump Station Operator II requires Grade D2 Water Distribution Operator and Grade T2 Water Treatment Plant Operator Certification from the State of California Department of Health.
3. Requires knowledge of equipment and machinery related to their safe operation and maintenance.
4. Requires knowledge of California drinking water regulations as they apply to the District's water system.
5. Requires ability to remain familiar with the Confined Space Program and the duties of Confined Space Supervisor, Entrant, Attendant, and Rescue as provided during annual training.
6. Must have current, valid CPR and First Aid certificates or ability to obtain with two years of hire.
7. Requires a valid, current, Class B drivers' license, with Hazardous Materials, Tanker and Air Brake Endorsements (or ability to obtain within 18 months of hire), acceptable by the State of California, with a driving record which enables insurability.
8. Ability to understand and follow stated operating and maintenance procedures.
9. Ability to work knowledgably, efficiently, and safely with all types of hand and power tools, and motorized equipment around water and sewer operations and facilities.
10. Ability to understand the principles of water chemistry and hydraulics, pumping, electricity, carpentry, pipe fitting, welding, basic machinery and fabrication.
11. Ability to read, understand and follow written and/or verbal instructions.
12. Requires the ability to maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
1. Must work independently after receiving instructions.
2. Pump Station Operator II relieves the supervisor and/or Lead Person during their absence.
3. Must exercise individual judgment and take prompt and decisive action when emergency situations arise.