Underground Water Reapir I/II
Underground Water Repair I/II
The South Tahoe Public Utility District is seeking a UR Water Repair I or II to perform a variety of construction, maintenance, and repair work on the water distribution system. Requires HS Graduate or equivalent, and one-year exp in water, or construction, and/or general maintenance fields. Experience operating heavy equipment a plus. Salary $4291-$6766/month DOQ.
Under the supervision of the Underground Water Repair Supervisor and/or Lead Person, performs a variety of construction, maintenance, and repair work, and related tasks as required, including performing a variety of water system maintenance work to support asset management programs. Is responsible for carrying out stated maintenance and repair procedures.
1. Maintains, installs, repairs, and/or replaces water lines and related water system components including: performing valve locations, turn on/offs of customer valves, existing water services and service valves, fire hydrants, water valve boxes and covers, old valves up to 30" and above, water meters, and related components.
2. Installs new water mains up to 8", mainline valves up to 30" and above, new water services and service valves, fire hydrants, water meters, and all components of a new water system including laying and joining pipe, and installation of water blowoffs.
3. Installs and replaces water meters and boxes.
4. Chlorinates new lines and performs disinfection procedures as required. Tests and flushes new system to meet state requirements.
5. Breaks out, removes and repairs street pavement.
6. Operates and services water related equipment such as hot tapper, line stopping equipment, line freezing equipment, and threading and cutting equipment.
7. Operates trucks, dump trucks, backhoes, loaders, excavators, vacuum trucks, street sweepers, trucks with pup or backhoe trailers, and related equipment.
8. Operates air compressors and associated tools, such as jackhammers, and impact wrenches. Operates wackers, pavement saw, pipe cut-off saw, pipebursting and mole tunneling tool.
9. Implements and maintains a valve exercising program as required by the State of California Department of Health Services.
10. Responds to calls for assistance, when available, and accepts standby duty, as needed.
11. Adheres to and enforces stated safety policies and procedures.
Education & Experience Requirements
High School graduate, or equivalent, with ability to read and follow safety procedures and job related instructions, is required.
1. Underground Water Repair I: One year of experience in at least one of the following: water distribution system maintenance, construction, repair and/or general maintenance work.
2. Underground Water Repair II: Three years of experience in construction, repair and maintenance work in a water distribution system. Requires some experience in directing an assigned crew.
1. Requires a valid Class A license, acceptable by the State of California, appropriate to operate Class A vehicles, and with a driving record that enables insurability. Requires endorsements for Air Brakes, Tanker, Towed Vehicle over 10,000 lbs.
2. Underground Water Repair I requires Certification as a Grade D1 Water Distribution Operator from the Department of Health Services, State of California, within twenty-four (24) months of hire date. Underground Water Repair II requires Certification as a Grade D2 Water Distribution Operator.
3. Requires training and certification in the operation of District forklifts, backhoes and loaders.
4. Requires Competent Person training for trenching and shoring, as required by Cal-OSHA. Also requires training and certification for traffic flagging.
5. Must have current, valid CPR and First Aid certificates or ability to obtain with two (2) years of hire.
6. Requires knowledge of the methods, tools, materials and equipment used in the maintenance and repair of water systems, and related facilities.
7. Requires general knowledge of all water system facilities, including main transmission lines, mainline valve locations and other materials related to the water system.
8. Requires ability to complete written work orders, keep simple records and prepare reports. Requires computer skills to input work orders into Computerized Maintenance Management System.
9. Requires the ability to read and understand grid books.
10. Requires the ability to read and follow written and/or verbal instructions, safety procedures and job-related instructions.
11. Requires mechanical ability as related to various job functions.
12. Requires the ability to maintain cooperative relationships with co-workers and supervisors.
13. Requires ability to perform supervisory duties (including ability to direct an assigned crew) in the absence of the Underground Water Repair Supervisor or Water Lead Person (Underground Water Repair II only).
14. Requires ability to accomplish work, complete work orders, keep records, and prepare written reports on computers and mobile field devices using Tyler, GIS, Maintenance Connection, Laserfiche forms, and other standard District formats.
15. Requires ability to effectively use computer systems, software applications, and modern business equipment to perform a variety of work tasks.
1. Works under the direct supervision of the Underground Water Repair Supervisor and/or Water Lead Person.
2. Ability to work independently after receiving instructions.
3. Requires ability to exercise individual judgment and take prompt and decisive action when emergency situations arise.